Saturday, November 5, 2011

In which poop and fan are introduced to each other

We took a day to gather ourselves. We all stayed clear of the manor as we laid our plans. We now saw the building itself as an enemy, a sentient piece of architecture that had changed and twisted us as part of some mad design. The lich sought power, but his insane plans were just part of the consciousness of that awful house.

I laid out our plans. There now seemed to be no question that I was in charge, or that we would follow my plan. Maybe it was the power that was not in me, but I think it was more than that. The others listened to me because I acted like I knew what I was doing, and they trusted me to make a good decision for them. It was a strange sensation, but I kind of liked it.

The manor seemed to know that something was up, and it sent an army of ghouls after us that night as we readied our assault for the next morning. We must have killed dozens in the moonlight, and we were greeted with a mountain of rotting flesh from the twice-slain creatures when the sun rose the next morning. It was now or never.

We fought our way back into the manor, and it seemed that we faced a new undead horror at every turn. I had a good sense of the layout of the place, now, so I knew exactly where we were heading. I didn't want to waste a single moment until we reached our goal.

The shrine where Sorel was first transformed was my goal, and after three wights, eleven ghouls and thirty-five zombies, we reached it. I helf the Heart in the palm of my hand. The voice in my head was as clear as ever. it was here I would lift the curse.

"Traitors!" a voice shrieked behind me. Oh fucking great. The lich. I should have known this would not be easy. "Give me the Heart, and I will kill you now. Refuse, and I will make you linger in pain forever."

Fortunately, none of the others were in a mood to negotiate. They immediately moved to attack while I made a dash for the altar. I had never seen them so brave or glorious before. They knew they stood no chance in this fight. They faced the lich because they believed in me. I saw Qual blown to bits as he clawed at the undead horror. Sorel was locked in bands of force that caused her to shriek in pain when she struggled against them. Ev and Aliandra were picked up by an unseen hand and flung against a wall, each landing with a sickening splat.

That left him and me alone in the shrine.

"You expect to ask once more?" it sneered. "I shall use your immortality for my pleasure, bringing you a fresh pain each day."

"I expect nothing of you, Rump," I said. With that I touched the Heart to the altar. "Tama Hama, I claim this manor in your name!" I said, invoking the name of the one who had offered me true power.

"NO!" the lich shrieked. Before anything could happen, I was removed from the manor.

I stood before my new goddess.

No comments:

Post a Comment